Frequently Asked Questions
Please browse our FAQ for care and general advice
How do I look after my lashes?
- For the first 24 hours, try to avoid getting the lashes wet in order to allow the glue to completely set.
- Do not use a steam room or sauna for the first 48 hours.
- Be gentle and respect your new lashes. Avoid rubbing your eyes and do not pick, play or pull at your new lashes as this will pull out your own natural lashes.
- Avoid getting them caught on clothes and towels; When drying your face do not rub, instead, blot your face and apply a gentle pressure to your closed eyes then allow the extensions to dry naturally.
- Do not perm or curl the extensions using a clamp eyelash curlers.
- Avoid wearing mascara as this will lessen the life of your extensions.
- Do not use eye make-up remover that contains any type of oil products such as petroleum.
- Do keep the eye area clean. This is very important. Some ladies love their lashes so much they don’t even want to get them wet at all, ignoring proper hygiene can result in an eye infection whether wearing eyelash extensions or not.
- Try and sleep on your back to avoid crushing your extensions in the pillow which can result in some lashes twisting.
- The golden rule for wearing eyelash extensions is the less you touch them the longer they will last.
What are Eyelash Extensions?
Eyelash Extensions are a semi permanent beauty treatment in which an individual artificial eyelash is attached one by one to each individual natural lash until each lash on the lid is extended.
The artificial lashes come in many different lengths, shapes and sizes so the result can differ greatly from salon to salon, client to client and also depending on the desired look.
Will it hurt?
No. In my salon, you will be tucked in to a very comfortable, warm bed, where I am yet to have a client who can resist falling asleep. It is a completely painless treatment and it’s very relaxing.
Again, this can differ from salon to salon, some therapists can be rough, inexperienced or heavy handed.
But you are in the best hands with me.
How long does it take?
A full set of Lash Extensions takes me about an hour and a half to 2 hours to complete, depending on the clients own lashes. Some salons can take up to 4 hours, this may indicate an inexperienced therapist, others claim to have a full set finished within an hour, this may indicate that the lashes will be sparse looking-not enough lashes applied to qualify as a true full set.
How long will they last?
If you just wanted the lashes for an occasion or a holiday, you could expect to lose the last few after about 2 months. But if like most people, you want to keep them on a more permanent basis, you simply come back to me about once a month for a quick top up.
Why are they called ''Semi Permanent'' lash extensions?
Unlike strips or cluster lashes that are stuck to the lashes or the skin and may last for a day or a week; These lash extensions last as long as it takes for your own lashes to naturally shed. The life cycle of the natural lash can be anywhere from 30-90 days and each time an old lash is loose and about ready to detach; there is a new one right behind it, pushing it out, ready to take it’s place. We each lose anywhere from 1-5 natural lashes per eye per day, we just don’t notice unless it goes into our eyes or someone else points it out to us. So if I apply about 200 lashes per eye and over the course of one month, you may have lost; we’ll say 3 lashes a day per eye, that’s 90 lashes per eye, so you would have about half the original amount of lashes remaining from your full set after a month, so when you come back for a top up, I apply new lash extensions to all the brand new eyelashes and i bring them back up to a beautiful full set again. Some people like to come back to me every 2 weeks for a half hour top up, so they always look as full as possible.
How long does a Top Up take?
With me, when you book in for a top up, you get a full hour top up on your lashes, even if the full set took only an hour an a half, I will keep attaching lashes to every lash I can find so your lashes will always be as full as humanly possible! I have a 30 minute option if you are short on time or only need a few. And i’m fast so you will always get your money’s worth.
Will they damage my lashes?
Not if you come to me. I have many clients who have been having the lashes applied for years now, and their own lashes are still in perfect condition. As long as the lashes are applied correctly, and the therapist takes certain factors into account, there should be no damage of any kind.
But If lash extensions are applied incorrectly, if the therapist is inexperienced or lacking in common sense which unfortunately is a common problem; it’s another story.
Don’t take a risk when it comes to your eyes.
It’s not worth it.
Only ever trust a qualified, experienced and well renowned eyelash extension specialist.